The Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-A) has announced the results of its hotly contested election for seats on the Association’s Council, following a vote held at a reconvened AGM on Wednesday 26 August.
The newly formed Council is comprised of a number of dedicated and long-standing Members of the Association with a diverse range of skills and experiences. Members cast a total of 375 votes and the results were calculated by Gem-A Auditors Hazlems Fenton LLP.
Amongst the selection are seven Members from the UK with two well-respected Members from the United States of America.
Each, in their own right, have been selected for their contribution to the industry, whether that be as tutors, educators and academics or those with experience in retail, management and governance.
Joining existing Council members; Miranda Wells, Mary Burland and Nigel Israel, are:
- Former Vice-President of the American Gemmologists Association (AGA), Gem-A and ICA Member and Lifelong gemmologist with varied experience across the industry: Kathryn Bonanno FGA.
- Premium Jewellery and Watch Professional, former Member of NAG Educational Committee and Professional Jeweller WatchPro Hot 100 Brand Champion: Justine Carmody FGA.
- Managing Director of Bentley & Skinner, boasting 30 years of jewellery retail experience: Paul Greer DGA
- Former Secretary of Gem-A’s South West Branch, contributor to Gem-A’s trade publication Gems&Jewellery and ODL tutor: Kerry Gregory FGA DGA
- Head of Earth Science collections at the Natural History Museum, with a range of curatorial and management experience with The Smithsonian, The American Museum of Natural History and Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle, Paris: Alan Hart FGA DGA
- Author of the recently released Visual Optics and Gem Testing Technique, developer of the visual optics technique and President of the Scottish Gemmological Association: Alan Hodgkinson FGA DGA
- Former Gem-A and NAG CEO, former Secretary General to CIBJO and internationally respected academic: Dr Jack Ogden FGA DGA
- Jewellery dealer, valuer and former auctioneer, founding member and Chair of South West Branch since inception in 2001 and Trustee of the South West Trust: Richard Slater FGA DGA
- President of the American Gemological Laboratories (AGL), former Director of the Gübelin Laboratory in Luzern, Switzerland, past Director of Identification Services for the GIA Laboratory in New York, and former winner of the Antonio C. Bonanno Award for Excellence in Gemology: Christopher P Smith GG, FGA
Members of the Council will now work together to form a plan for the future of the Association, in the light of the events of recent months.
Gem-A staff look forward to assisting the incoming Council in steering the future direction of the Association, furthering Gem-A’s Mission, Vision and Values and continuing the company’s recent period of growth and success.
For more information on the current and future plans of Gem-A, please visit the news and events section of the Gem-A website.