The international diamond industry is vast and multi-faceted, with many thousands of stakeholders performing vital roles throughout the diamond pipeline. The Gem-A Diamond Diploma is a trusted and highly respected industry qualification that is recognised globally as a signifier of rigorous and scientific diamond knowledge.
Our course will instil in you a comprehensive understanding of diamonds and how the diamond market operates, allowing you to explore new career opportunities or enhance an existing career in the fields of diamond grading, diamond research and technology, diamond retail and diamond jewellery making, among others.
- Who Can Apply? Everyone from complete beginners and jewellery sales professionals, to auctioneers, business leaders and scientists wishing to expand their knowledge.
- Study Time: 4 or 9 months, depending on study method.
- Study Method: Online or Accredited Teaching Centre
- Qualification: Gem-A Level 5 Diploma in Gem Diamond (Ofqual level 5)
- Equipment Provided: Diamond Diploma course notes; set of diamond simulants; diamond grading manual and workbook; diamond crystal models; portable diamond instrument kit, including a 10x loupe, thermal tester, stone tweezers, stone cleaning cloth and a long-wave ultraviolet key ring
- Course Fees: Starting from £3300, varies depending on method of study
Read more detailed information about this course and our entry requirements by downloading the Diamond Diploma Guide
- Upon completion of the Gem-A Diamond Diploma, Graduates will be able to recognise and describe the structure of a diamond and how this relates to its physical and optical properties.
- You will be able to distinguish between natural, treated and synthetic diamonds and compare and identify a diamond and its simulants. Graduates will be able to confidently record, sketch and communicate reliable and valid observations of rough diamond crystals and articulate the Four Cs of diamonds and how they influence desirability and value.
- With global issues in mind, Diamond Diploma Graduates will benefit from a secure grasp of diamond mining, diamond localities and the stages of the diamond pipeline, from mine to market. This will be accompanied by training on diamond grading, diamond testing and diamond cutting, as well as issues of diamond ethics and traceability.
4 online assessments plus a written project
Written examination (Diamond Theory Paper 1) and Practical examination (Diamond Practical Paper 2)
Only applicable to online students, culminating in Diamond Practical Paper 2. Accredited Teaching Centre students will complete this practical training and examination as part of their on-site studies.
For general enquiries, contact the Gem-A Education department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Having studied the Diamond Diploma, I am far more confident when buying diamonds to use in my designs. Being introduced to rough diamonds has definitely influenced my work. The course notes and instruments are excellent and the depth of knowledge of the tutors combined with their enthusiasm for the subject is inspiring. ODL allowed me the flexibility to study around my work whilst having the reassurance that my tutor was there to answer any questions and support me throughout the course
Sally Spencer (Oxford, England), Diamond Diploma ODL
Read more information about further gemmological study and advancing your career, here.