Once you have completed the Gem-A Gemmology Foundation course, you will be eligible to complete our highest and most prestigious qualification – the Gem-A Gemmology Diploma.
Through this course you will learn about a wider array of gems, synthetics and treatments, building on the practical and theoretical knowledge you gained during your Foundation studies.
Upon completion of the Gemmology Diploma you will have an in-depth understanding of gemmology and the principles of gem testing, as well as enhanced gem identification skills.
- Who Can Apply? Gemmology Foundation Graduates only
- Study Time: 4 or 9 months
- Study Method: Online or Accredited Teaching Centre
- Qualification: Gem-A Level 6 in Gemmology (Ofqual level 6). Graduates become eligible to apply for Fellowship of Gem-A, allowing them to use FGA status)
- Equipment Provided: Comprehensive Diploma course notes; practical handbook and workbook; fluorite and rutile crystal models; Diploma stone set containing 20 rough and cut specimens. Those choosing to study online will also receive a travel microscope.
- Course Fees: Starting from £3995, varies depending on method of study
Read more detailed information about this course and our entry requirements by downloading the Gemmology Diploma Guide
- Building on knowledge gained during your Gemmology Foundation studies, you will explore further gemstone treatments and synthetic materials and how to identify them.
- Other areas of study include interpreting results from advanced gem testing equipment; solving gemmological problems based on scientific data; and critically analysing the validity, reliability and credibility of information related to gemmology
- You will be taught to confidently discuss the ethical, environmental and technological implications of the gem trade, while being able to demonstrate practical skills that benefit specialists in the field, in the laboratory and at the jewellery-maker’s bench.
For general enquiries, contact the Gem-A Education department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
I studied the on-site evening course over one year, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I found learning with a small group of enthusiastic students and like-minded tutors enabled me to succeed. Studying the Diploma has helped me in my career, as having recently joined the gem trade I am now able to use my knowledge and skills with the confidence and assurance that I am making the right decisions.
Noah Thompson (London, England), Gemmology Diploma student
Graduates of the Gemmology Diploma course can apply to join the Association and become FGA (Fellow of the Gemmological Association) Members. This will allow you to use the post-nominals ‘FGA’ after your name.
FGA status highlights your educational achievements, knowledge and integrity, while signifying your membership of a professional body within the international gem and jewellery trades. Your name will appear on the FGA and DGA Register, available to the public to view on our website, so anyone can see that you are qualified and a registered Member with us.
More information on further gemmology study can be found here.